Sunday, April 5, 2009

A chunk of something operatic

The kids are eating yogurt.
C "I just got a chunk of something."
B "It's probably sugar or cream."
C "Really?"
B "No. Mom bought it for us, so it's probably just a chunk of healthiness."
C "I like the kind Oma and Opa get for us. That has chunks of sugar."

I was commenting to someone about Coyote, that his current interests would predict a future of opera and baseball.
"Hard to see how those would combine."
"Not really," I said. And I suddenly had a vision, as if I were there, on the astro-turf, singing in his baseball opera. And then, I dove head first in to it: I actually improvised a segment of that opera to my Real Estate Agent and the Inspector's Wife! What I was thinking, I cannot imagine. I think, now in retrospect, that I was not thinking at all. In my falsetto opera voice, I belted out a tune about how I was hitting the ball, it popped straight up, and then the tragedy laid me low, low, low down. It was a foul ball.

Certainly, there is no market for this.

In some regard, I wish you could have been there. In other ways, I'm very glad you weren't. And now I will brag for a second: it was REALLY FUNNY!!! And I am not the only adult that thought so. But it's always hard puzzle out what people are laughing at: me or the opera? But at least they didn't stand there, in silent shock. Huck and the kids loved it and keep demanding that I do it over and over again. And because I continue to play the fool, I am telling you about it.

And then there was this funny little cherry on top: someone asked me if I taught our kids music lessons! I have never been accused of having an iota of musical ability. But she disagreed. That's my fake opera voice, I noted, THAT can carry a tune, but not my real voice. My real singing voice will be taped and played back to us all in hell. That is what my real singing voice was made for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails